Monday, February 16, 2009

The Big Daddy's Music

Bach is the father of western classical music. More specifically, he is the father of harmony. Because western music is the play of harmony language.

Many advanced and extroverted pianists get easily bored by Bach's steady music. But I enjoy his music the most. The orderly, the sense of balance and the integerity in his music is something I seek all the time. It is spiritual. It enhances one's intuitive perception. It is like a spiritual cleansing process while listening to his compositions. That never go out of style and that never bore me. It is something that I need, like food. It makes me think calmer and clearer.

My favorites are his Goldberg Variations, French Suite No. 2, French Overture and Partita No. 2. There are several recordings of his music by different pianists out there. I have some personal preferences to recommend.


Best Goldberg Variations would be the one by Canadian pianist Glenn Gould. He recorded a legendary Goldberg Variations. But if you want to listen to someone who is still alive, I would recommend Murray Perahia's. Murray Perahia is a musically mature pianist who is good at performing Mozart, Chopin's etudes and now Bach.

French Suite No. 2 by Andras Schiffs is worth listening to . First movement is the one that I usually listen to before going to sleep.

There is one young pianist I recommend to include in your list when you want to listen to Bach's French Overture- Joyce Yang. She was not even 19 years old when she performed this live in Van Cliburn competition. But I felt in love with the music right after I heard she performed it. Maybe she was nervous to hell when she started her repertoire marathon with this Overture but I felt she played it like the music has grown inside her - natural!

For Partita No. 2, I recommend 2 versions of it. First one is the recording of Martha Argerich's live performance. It is amazing! It makes my blood running. The second one is more solitude, by Andras Schiffs.

Bach music has a kind of optimistism accompanying his pompous steady beat. When I feel low or gray, his music restores my optimistism and uplift my spirit. It is indeed a gift from god (or anything above this dirty air). So, let's revive and cherish Bach's music to clean up the depression air.

No comments:

Popular Posts